The Head of Software Development is responsible for all Red Box global product development workstreams, ensuring that the company can effectively develop and deploy new features and products to market whilst efficiently supporting its existing software and clients. The team is extending the product architecture using microservices and containerisation and is also developing against the existing platform to support the current install base and channel partners. The role involves overseeing all development activity, including customer specific feature development being rolled out as part of the ongoing release cycle, managing contention between resources on various workstreams and ensuring that product development plans enable consistent and high-quality product releases.
The company is investing heavily in the future technology stack and the team is maturing its agile working practices. The Head of Software Development will have the technical skills, methodical mindset and personality to engage and inspire the team, drive consistent practices, instil confidence and deliver results to the Executive team, Red Box board and customers.
- Provide leadership to the Red Box product development organisation.
- Develop a first-class and scalable product development organisation, using modern working practices.
- Be a key member of the Senior Management team, providing strategic input into future product development and company direction.
- Enable strategic planning to achieve business goals.
- Ensure appropriate development plans are in place to provide certainty over delivery.
- Work with the Technical Architect to ensure agreed architectural standards and industry best practices are adhered to.
- Provide line management, mentoring and development to the team leadership group within product development to enable technically competent, confident and driven self-managing agile teams.
- Provide budgetary management and cost forecasting to ensure that the product development organisation is managed within budget.
- Put in place and maintain processes to allow for consistent and efficient working practices.
- Maintain an ongoing programme of improvement and make recommendations in relation to resource and other requirements to support the department in meeting its goals.
- Represent Red Box product development to customers and partners.
- Be responsible for the relationship with the Red Box outsourced development partner, ensuring consistent ways of working, high quality output and control over cost.
- Proven track record of success as a leader of software development teams, managing the Product Development lifecycle for enterprise software application products for external customers.
- Experience working in a software house as head of development or similar senior role.
- Balance of business and technical experience in the technologies specified.
- Proven ability to develop and execute on strategic and release level plans.
- Experience running an agile development organisation is essential, with Scrum experience highly preferred.
- A background in Microsoft technologies is highly desirable.
- Experience of development using microservices architecture.
- Has experience and understanding of docker, kurbernetes, Azure, AWS
- Has experience and understanding of DevOps and CI/CD
- Excellent communication skills – with the board, across the business as a whole and with external stakeholders.
- Educated to degree level or relevant business experience.
- Background in telecoms is advantageous.
- Demonstrable experience delivering a mission critical product into a highly competitive, fast paced customer environment.
- An outstanding and credible leader with the ability to engage with and motivate staff at all levels, committed to creating high performing and motivated teams.
- A dynamic personality with high energy levels. Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- A good strategist with the ability to look at the big picture whilst dealing with low level operational issues.
- A team player, challenging but constructive in approach. Self-motivated, resilient and able to be effective in a smaller/mid-size company environment.
- Comfortable initiating and driving change.
- An ambitious individual who delivers results with a clear commitment to excellence. Able to take firm decisions based on the needs of the company and stakeholders and pragmatism to implement these decisions.